86% of of online sales, start with a keyword search. This means that anything related to the marketing of your products must be keyword optimized.
This can include product titles, descriptions, item specifics, YouTube videos, Pinterest Pins etc.
Unfortunately, keyword optimization is often overlooked in the rush to get products listed online.
But by implementing a few good product SEO practices up front, you’ll be well positioned to sell more!
These seven tips will get you started!
7 Ways to Get Your Holiday Products Found in Search
Every product title can be optimized for search. The most common types of optimization keywords that shoppers use when searching for products online are:
- Brand name
- Model #
- Unique specifications
- Common misspellings (lap top vs laptop)
- Industry Terms e.g., Star Wars Episode 1 (EP1)
* Keep in mind that the closer a buyer gets to making a purchase, the longer and more specific their keyword search strings will be.
Position Matters! When writing a product title, always put the MOST important keywords first. People and search engines read left to right. Don’t bury your most important brand/product keywords in the middle or at the end of your product title.
- Review the description on the product box for ideas
- Look at the manufacturer’s description
- Use the Google Keyword Tool to see what keywords buyers are searching for
- eBay sellers can also use Terapeak to glean keyword suggestions
The holidays are a game changer for many product searches. Keyword searches directly related to holiday shopping along with holiday themed keywords abound.
Shoppers append keywords like “free shipping” and “gift” to their holiday product searches. If you offer free shipping or sell products that make the perfect gift, but you’re not optimizing for it, your products will get left out of those all important search results.
(Each year I publish a list of the Top Holiday Keywords searched on the web, along with a class on how to use these keywords. The 2012 edition will be published in October. However, you can pick up the 2011 edition at a clearance price of $10 here.)
- Adding Item Specifics to your listing will not only help buyers find your product on eBay, it will also help to get your products found in Google search.
- Item Specifics should be added on all listings, even those products where eBay does not require them.
- Adding the brand, model number, materials, style, size, color, vintage, edition etc. will give your listing the specific keyword search string criteria that buyers use as they get closer to the point of purchase.
Doing so not only helps your products get found in eBay’s search engine, it will also helps your product get found in Google Shopping (Google’s new paid search engine for products.)
Correct Poorly Written Amazon Titles. The Amazon product catalog is filled with poorly written titles. If you’re listing on an Amazon product page with a poorly written title, identify the changes to the product page title and contact Seller Support to make those changes. If you’re creating a product page on Amazon, make sure you do your due diligence beforehand.
SEO your Pinterest Pins. Last month, a Google search for the popular Sprayground “Game Over” Backpack turned up a Pinterest search result on page 1. Google and Pinterest are simpactico when it comes to content. Google wants it. Pinterest provides it. Optimizing your Pinterest pins with product specific keywords can get you free placement in Google search.
Pinterest pin titles should be carefully crafted to be SEO friendly without looking like a listing page (one of the fastest way to get Pinterest users to ignore you or unfollow you.)
To learn more about how to market your ecommerce products on Pinterest visit PinterestforEcommerce.com.
- Video title
… is a great way to get your foot in the door of Google’s organic search.
Google gives high priority to video reviews that have been search engine optimized for visibility.
You only have one chance to maximize your holiday sales. Implementing even just one of these holiday optimization strategies is guaranteed to boost your buyer traffic and as a result, increase your sales!